Monday, May 12, 2008

Race for the cure

My friend Kristel and I have been talking about our "bucket lists" - ya know, stuff you want to do before you die, and I've had this one on my list since my dear friend Becky's sister passed away 7 years ago of breast cancer. So.......EARLY saturday morning, Jenny and I and two girls from Jenny's work (Candice & Sandy) headed down to the Gateway to participate in the
Susan G. Komen Race for the cure.

I honestly have never been in a place where you could feel the energy and emotion so strongly. There were over 17,000 people participating in either the walk or the run and most of us had "back signs" on to recognize people who have either lost their battle with or are currently battling breast cancer. Here's mine in Memory of Teresa...

After we finished the 5k there was a massive group of people in the Gateway and all the survivors were wearing pink shirts. This gives me so much hope that people can survive breast cancer. Breast cancer is the second highest fatal cancer in women......so as corny as this may sound - please do your self-exams and get a mammogram - I know way too many wonderful women to lose them this way!

After the race there was also a health expo north of Gateway and there were lots of vendors handing out fun stuff. I was so thrilled that Dave and the girls came down to cheer us on, because not only do I race for Teresa, I race for my girls, my mom, my sisters, my friends and every other woman! I love you all!
Oh P.S. - my goal was to finish the 5k under 30:00 and I did it in 28:50!!! Yay!!!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Good Job! It'd probably only take me like 6 hrs and 72 minutes to finish a 5k!