Monday, August 18, 2008

Run & Walk & Splash-a-thon for Joanna

Saturday was one of the most touching and special "church" activities I can recall. I pulled my butt out of bed at 5:30 a.m. to go put out directional signs for a fundraising 5k for Joanna Jackson who is in my ward and currently battling breast cancer(Joanna's Journey blog). I didn't get any pics of the race since Dave and I both ran, but here's the route markers I made....For sharing time one week I had all the kids write encouraging messages on footprints

I am so thrilled with my family and friends support.....and we did pretty well with our times too! Dave ran a swift 27:49, I ran an average 30:19 and placed 3rd in my age group, Jen ran a stellar 25:50 and placed 1st, I don't remember Becca's time, but she placed 1st in her age group, Jenny ran an amazing 32:30 (post-surgery mind you!) and her son Kayden ran an awesome 31:14 taking 1st in his age group! Thank you friends and family for supporting me and Joanna!

After the 5k there was a breakfast and bake sale and then the Primary had a walk & splash-a-thon for the kids. We had them raise as much money as they could and then gave out prizes for the person who raised the most and also for the person who walked the most laps.

We had different obstacles and games along the way - here's Bradee doing the army style ring run.


Here's the kids tossing wet sponges into buckets for points - the person with the most points also won a prize (there's Joanna on the left side in the pink shirt with the pink scarf - amazing woman with an amazing attitude - I have thoroughly enjoyed serving in the Primary Presidency with her! Oh, and there's our fearless leader Pres. Steph - picking up sponges!).


Here's me, fairly obscured, marking wristbands for each lap the kids walked


Afterwards, all the kids got popsicles and waterguns for participating

Each runner and primary kid got a certificate of appreciation signed by Joanna (thanks Susan!) and the top 3 finishers in each age group on the 5k got ribbons

It was a wonderful morning and best of all we raised a lot of money to help with Joanna's treatment. We are all praying that she continues to do well! Thanks again to everyone who participated!

1 comment:

TeamDall said...

Well, I'm totally offended that you didn't remember my time. How rude. It's not like you were busy doing anything else. Just kidding, of course. I'm glad the event raised a lot of money and I really like your new blog design:)